Last Updated on April 1, 2021 by Righteous Daddy (Rehan)
Disclosure: My content contains affiliate links, meaning “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
If you are a graphic designer, illustrator, or hobbyist, you need the right laptop to run adobe illustrator smoothly. I know it is genuinely frustrating if the laptop hangs while you are working. The worker of graphic designer demands full attention, and even minor lapse can cause huge issues. So, no matter if you are a freelancer or doing a job as a graphic designer having the right laptop is necessary. In this article, I have listed some of the best laptops to run adobe illustrator smoothly. Know that the best laptop for everyday home use won’t cut it here. You do need a powerful machine to run illustrator effortlessly.
Now, without any delays, let’s check them out.
What are the best laptops for Adobe Illustrator?
If you are in a hurry, the following list contains the best laptops for adobe illustrator. However, I suggest you go through reviews of each laptop to better understand their specs and drawbacks.
Microsoft Surface Pro 7- Righteousdaddy Choice
Surface Pro 7 by Microsoft is an excellent option for adobe illustrator and graphic designers. It offers a touch screen, portability, and powerful specs so you can even work while on the go.
Let’s look at the specs of the surface pro 7 model I am reviewing.
- It comes with the 10th generation quad-core Intel i7-1065G7 processor.
- For storage, you will get 256 Gigabytes solid-state drive.
- It has intel IRIS plus as a GPU.
- The Surface Pro 7 has 12.3 inches touch screen display with a native resolution of 2736 into 1824. It has a 2:3 aspect ratio.
- The RAM it offers is 16 GB which is enough to run adobe illustrator.
- Intel claims that you can get more than 10 hours of battery life on average use.
- It has a front-facing 5-megapixel camera, and 8 possess the 8 megapixels of the rear camera. The rear camera has autofocus and can shoot FULL HD 1080p videos.
- This 2-in-1 laptop has dual far-field mics that make talking and calling clear and effortless.
- For sound and music, it has a built-in 1.6 watts stereo speaker powered by Dolby Audio.
- Microsoft offers its own operating system, and that is windows 10 home.
- You will be glad to know that it has the latest WIFI 6 capable of detecting 802.11 ax.
Now, if we look at its design. You can see that it is a very thin and lightweight machine. I was surprised to know that it has the dimensions of 11.5” x 7.9” x 0.33.” And it weighs only 1.7 lbs. For connectivity, it offers plenty of ports. Despite being undersized and lightweight, it has plenty of connectivity options. To be honest, this laptop kept surprising me. It has one type-c USB port and one Type-A USB port. It has one surface connect port and one port to connect surface type cover. The surface pro 7 also has the slot of the microSD card reader. Now, if we look at the display, it offers sharp and crystal clear images. On Bezel, you can clearly see the camera.
Let’s see where this laptop lacks. I think it does not have any significant downsides. However, if you are into a big screen as a designer and want to view things more clearly, the screen size will be smaller for you. Also, for some people, the storage is less compared to other laptops. Those are the only two downsides I have encountered, but they are not very off-putting, are they?
My Two Cents
One of the best laptops for graphic designers and illustrators is that it is incredibly lightweight, making it portable enough to carry anywhere you want. Illustrate things on the go without much hassle. I would highly recommend this laptop. However, if you are like me and prefer giant screens, you should avoid getting this one.
Dell Inspiron i3793-7275SLV
Suppose you are old school and want to have a typical yet powerful laptop that offers a giant screen, powerful specs to run adobe illustrator, and more with hefty storage. In that case, I think you would love the Inspiron i3793-7275SLV.
Let’s look at its specs first.
- Dell Inspiron i3793-7275SLV comes with intel 10th generation i7-1065G7 CPU.
- For Memory, it has 16 GB DDR4 SDRAM with a speed of 2666 MHZ.
- For storage, it offers both a hard drive and a solid-state drive. The model I have reviewed comes with a 2 TB hard drive and 256 GB of NVme Solid-state drive. That’s all of the storage which I thought had been lacking in surface pro 7. However, that’s the trade you have to do for portability.
- It has a bigger display of 17.3 inches with a Full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080.
- You will be surprised to know that this laptop features a DVD writer. It is obsolete nowadays in the latest laptops so, I was surprised to see that. You know you can install adobe illustrator with DVD if you want.
- It comes with built-in Microsoft windows 10 home so, you do not have to purchase the operating system separately.
- This laptop also has a dedicated graphics card. It has Nvidia mx230 graphics to assist you in running the software more smoothly.
This laptop is hefty, but it offers a lot of features and functions. It has been packed with plenty of hardware so, its enormous size is understandable. Dell Inspiron i3793 weighs 6 lbs. and has the dimensions of 16.4 x 11 x 1 inch. Now, if we look at ports, it has plenty of them. You will find 2 USB 3.1 gen 1 ports. It also has type-c for data transition.
Moreover, it has one 2.0 USB port. If you want to have an external monitor, you will find the HDMI 1.4b output port. For LAN connectivity, it has one RJ45 port. The card reader slot is also available, and the one jack for the microphone/headphones is present on the left side. If you look at its top bezel, you will find that it has a 720p webcam.
The battery life of this laptop is questionable. It does not last more than 3 hours on battery so, it is pretty low in my eyes. The second drawback you can face that it has only a type C port for data transition. That’s all the issues I have encountered.
To help make things more straightforward, the following are the things I liked and disliked
My Two Cents
This is one of the most powerful laptops to run designing software like illustrator and others. It has a powerful processor and enough ram to handle anything. The cherry on top is a dedicated GPU that makes things a lot crispier. However, the battery timing is questionable. I would not recommend this laptop if you want portability and work on the battery most of the time. If you wish to have portability, nothing beats surface pro 7.
Apple MacBook Air- For Mac Lovers
If you are looking for a mac laptop to run adobe illustrator, I think the MacBook air would be a great companion for you. It comes with enough features to run photo editing programs quite easily.
Let’s look at its specs so you can decide if this laptop is suitable for you or not.
- The Macbook Air comes with the Apple signature M1 chip that has 8 cores. These cores are divided into two categories the 4 are dedicated to performance, and the other 4 are devoted to efficiency.
- It offers the 8 core GPU that is sufficient enough to run photo editing software like adobe illustrator.
- For display, it offers 13.3 inches screen with a resolution of 2560 into 1600. The display also has the true tone technology
- The MacBook Air has 16 neural cores for machine learning.
- The model I reviewed here has the 256 GB solid-state drive for storage. However, it also has the 512 GB model as well if you want more storage.
- For Memory, it offers 8 GB RAM so you can run the apps smoothly.
- For wireless connectivity, it offers WIFI 6. Meaning you can run fast internet quite smoothly. And for Bluetooth, it has Bluetooth 5.0
- According to my research, you can get up to 11 hours of battery life. You can enjoy your designing work on the go quite comfortably with this battery timing.
- The laptop only weighs 2.8 pounds. Making it one of the easy-to-carry laptops.
The laptop is compact and portable. It has an excellent clear display with the 720p HD camera on the top center. It has two thunderbolt ports for connectivity, and you can also connect 3.5mm headphones or accessories with the port. The MacBook Air has dimensions of 11.97 x 0.63 x 8.36 inches. And it weighs only 2.8 pounds, making it a lightweight and portable laptop.
Now, if we look at its keyboard, it is entirely layout on the surface. However, it has no numeric pad. The keys have excellent travel speed, and the stroke is also very smooth. Beyond the keyboard, there is the touchpad, and it has the force touch. The trackpad offers enough room to help you zoom, rotate and move the cursor comfortably. Another thing worth mentioning is that it has the touch id lock that makes it secure.
If you have used the IOS device, you can vouch that the touch id lock is seriously the phone’s best security feature. It protects your app store purchases because you don’t accidentally pay for the stuff you are not trying to purchase. Second, the touch id also adds to your privacy by adding a lock to the folders and apps.
This is one of the perfect laptops. However, everything has a shortcoming. As an unbiased reviewer, I always list the downsides of products in a separate section. So, let’s see where it lacks. The first thing I noticed is the quality of the built-in camera sucks. It breaks the pixel and becomes gloomy.
The second issue you can face is its limited storage option. I am talking about the model I reviewed as it has only 256 GB of a solid-state drive. If you want to store a lot of data, you need to have more storage than this, and you need to have an external drive or need to pay more for extra storage.
To make a sensible decision, I have listed the things I liked and disliked below.
My two cents
I have listed this laptop for those who love mac operating system. The reasons to choose this laptop are its weight, the battery timing it offers, and the top-notch display quality. The designing work looks vivid on this type of display. I highly recommend this laptop for these reasons. However, on the low side, the built-in camera plainly sucks so, you need to have the external webcam if you want to have video calls and stuff. The second thing that you can face is low storage as it comes with only 256 GB storage, and if you want to have more storage options, you need to pay more. This is a con because it is already an expensive laptop. However, that’s the case with Apple products. They are expensive.
What to Look for in a laptop for photo editing
Below is the guide in which I have discussed the factors you need to consider for purchasing the laptop for photo editing. Know that the mentioned elements are suitable for photo editing software like adobe illustrator and others. As this article revolves around the best laptop for adobe illustrator, I have majorly focused on the specs and factors suitable for adobe apps.
If you are in a hurry, the following infographic is sufficient for you. If you have time, look at the points below. I try my best to make shopping easier for everyone. Hope you will appreciate that.
The faster the processor, the easier your task will be. As it is commonly said that the CPU is the brain of your computer. It is valid for any purpose. You need to have the fastest possible processor to have the perfect editing. I would highly recommend 2.5 gigahertz to 4.1 gigahertz processor to run adobe illustrator. Also, don’t forget the cores. The more cores, the better. For adobe illustrator and similar programs, I would recommend you to have at least 4 core processors.
The Random access memory goes hand in hand with the CPU. You need to have powerful RAM to get the best editing experience. I recommend at least 8 GB of RAM for adobe illustrator. However, if you can afford more, go for it. The 16 to 32 GB RAM for photo editing is the sweet spot.
For some time, the mac is the obvious choice for photo editing. However, Microsoft has diminished the margin by introducing windows 10. The windows laptops are cheaper compared to Mac and offer almost the same compatibility and performance as mac. What would I recommend? It is your choice. I have listed both Windows and Mac laptops. You can choose the Operating system that suits you the most.
People usually only recommend and look at the display size, and they totally neglect the resolution. Like shopping for a photo editing laptop, you need to look at the resolution. Yes, the display size is essential, but it does not matter if the computer has 15 inches screen while it has a 720p resolution. However, if the laptop has even 13 inches display and has a resolution of 1080p, it will look more sharp and clear. So, I recommend you get a laptop that has more resolution. Go for At least a Full HD laptop.
What is storage doing here? Well, if you have low storage, you risk bottlenecking your laptop. What is bottlenecking? You can read about it here. In layman’s terms, low storage laptops can make your work slower as the data transfer speed will be less. I recommend always choosing a laptop with sufficient storage. The least I recommend is a 256 GB solid-state drive, and if you are a power user, go for 512 GB to 2 TB storage.
This is another significant component you need to consider when shopping for the best laptop for photo editing. Suppose you are an editor with less daunting tasks or edit photos occasionally. In that case, the built-in GPUs are sufficient for you. However, if you are a pro user, having a dedicated and influential GPU is a must. I recommend at least the 860 megahertz GPU for 60 FPS and 1.5 Gigahertz for 90 FPS.
Wrapping it up!
I have listed the top 3 laptops for adobe illustrator and other photo editing apps and programs in this article. To help you more, I have included the infographic and text-based buyer’s guide so you can shop easily. That’s all! See you in another article.